Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cakes in the Desert

Time to escape the cold and run away to the desert--phoenix to be specific. I didn't just work on my tan, 3 of the 5 days were entirely dedicated to baking and decorating 2 cakes. Ethan put in his request 6 months ago for the batmobile and "bumpa tuffy" needed something fun for his 60th birthday. Since these two gentleman are more than special to me it was totally worth it.



The Batmobile for Ethan's 5th Birthday



Tuffy's 60th Birthday Cake

Even though it wasn't quite classroom experience I still learned a few lessons over those 3 days:
1. There is no such thing as too many dowels to support a cake (see Tuffy's cake)
2. Cream cheese filling is not solid - at any temperature (especially in the desert - see Tuffy's cake)
3. Gumpaste is fragile
4. I am the biggest clutz known to man (see #3, does this really surprise anyone?)

I guess it's time to get back to class, I think it's croissants next week - boy, do I need to get on that treadmill before I hit hawaii.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for letting me watch you create. my boys loved the cake and jeff wants a batmobile cake now! you are amazing, best of luck!

    ReplyDelete