Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Becoming the Early Bird

The only thing I wasn't looking forward to about this new career in baking was getting up early. I am not a morning person (at least before the first cup of coffee) and I saw nothing redeeming about such early hours—until last Friday.

It was a standard day for me, get up at 5 am and get over to the bus station by 5:55 am for my ride downtown. It's always so quiet and silent I am shocked to see someone in the garage--and he's by my car. Hmmmm. I park by a wall, there is NO reason to be near my car and this guy is a K-fed wannabe-- 20 something with a baseball hat off to the side, baggy jean shorts, oversized shirt, scruffy facial hair, he does NOT belong in our building of 65 and older retirees. Growing up in Edina did not prepare me for things like this! What do I do? I am not street smart. I say "good morning" and pretend everything is normal. It wasn't, he had been in my car. The glove box was open, contents everywhere, center console open and I smelled the stale smoke from him sitting in my car. He was watching me.

I all I could think was CRAP! what am I going to do, what if he goes upstairs! Gracie Pants would just open the door thinking it was me, CRAP! You have to get out of here. So I drive out and call my mom, have her call the Manager who gets the cops there. Well, they end up catching him as his brilliant escape plan was to sit upstairs in the cushy lounge and wait for the cab he called. Who calls a cab as their getaway care from the break-in? Not smart. Turns out he did this for a living and was working the entire neighborhood. And here a lowly baking student caught him just because she has to get up before everyone else. Good thing I decided to become a pastry chef don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! That's quite a story. And yes, good thing you do get up early now.

    ReplyDelete