Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I Am Not a Navy Seal

I once claimed (many years ago) that I could be a navy seal, I thought I was so tough. My very good friend laughed and brought me back down to earth with, "really? because you cry at work. I don't think navy seals are allowed to cry at work." She's right, I am not a navy seal. At least this week.

The Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament is my favorite event of all time. I love it more than anything--possibly more than the Minnesota State Fair (and that's really saying something). My team, the Edina Hornets, were poised to take it all - seeded number one in the state. I could not wait to watch all 7 games that I had pre-purchased tickets for in November. All I have to do is get through classes and make my friend Nick's birthday cake.

It's Thursday and after 5 hours in the kitchen I have to sit and watch a movie in Danish. Let me repeat--DANISH! For two hours!!! What's harder than reading subtitles on a poorly lit screen? Trying to read play by play text on your cell phone of a hockey game, I gave up and watched the movie just to pass the time. I have now missed the first game. I'm finally done with class, hop the bus and get home in time to change and head down to the Xcel center. I have now missed the second game.

I get there and I'm so excited! I get some food, find my seat, stand for the national anthem and proceed to watch my team take a beating, from a spud. The opposing teams mascot is a potato. Really? I don't think inanimate objects should be allowed. I sadly watched the third and fourth game but much of it was a blur. What a day. I cry--I am not a navy seal.

I trudged through Friday and Saturday classes attempting to drown out stupid questions without much luck. Between games and classes I finally finished Nick's cake. It fought me the entire time, from breaking to fondant wanting to tear but I did it, two board games with a couple cards and pieces. It was all done and boxed with 30 minutes to get ready for the final game.

I'm walking down to my car, an extra chocolate torte (thank goodness) in a bag on my shoulder, purse on my wrist and holding the cake box in both hands. I make it down to the garage and loose my balance, on what I still don't know. In slow motion I watch the cake fall out of my hand and land on it's side. In the box, but on it's side. I just sat and stared at it, eyes glazing over. 3 days of work sitting in a box on the floor of my garage. I want to cry but think, no, I AM going to be a navy seal--just this once.

I open it up, mash it back into place as best I can (even though all the writing has been smeared off) and deliver it with head held high. Rumor has it they enjoyed it, dents and all even if it wasn't perfect.

I finished the mission and I wanted a reward. I was done with this week kicking me whenever it could. As I drove to my friends house I saw the one thing that would make me feel better... Taco bell. Yup, all I wanted was a chili cheese burrito. It's amazing how less than $1.50 can turn your day around.

My team ended up winning consolation (that's 5th place for you non-tourney-buffs) and I still enjoyed my annual trek down to this event. I just hope this doesn't foreshadow a bad State Fair for me! Here are the before and after photos of the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment