Monday, March 30, 2009

Top 10 of the quarter

I can't believe it's over! The first quarter of my new culinary life. (sigh) It flew by so quickly. As I look back I realize I had some of the most fun, annoying and interesting moments that I'll remember forever. Here are the top 10 best and worst that impacted my first quarter of school:

10. NOT permanently staining any part of my white uniform, from chef coat to apron to hat. And we all know that I'm, shall we say, a bit of a spiller. How amazing is that! Now, I did go through quite a bit of bleach but hey, that's only $1.89 a gallon.
9. Doing dishes for everyone in the class as most of them think they're magically cleaned once they set them down on that shiny silver thing in back (or just don't like doing dishes and won't be adult enough to do their own work).
8. Trying to outsmart the system but still getting the laziest person assigned to my group. Damn.
7. Having to explain what a decimal point is and how it works to a grown adult who somehow figured out how to have 3 kids.
6. Again explaining to the class that "doing dishes" is not the same as placing your dishes by the sprayer, it actually means a process of rinsing out your crap (don't you own a scraper or spatula? Why is there so much extra stuff left over in the bowl), washing it WITH a scrubby in the soapy water until there is no more goo on it, rinsing it, sanitizing it, draining it AND putting it away. Glenda the Good Witch does not wash your dishes for you while you're making the ugliest cake in the room.
5. Judit. She just gets a whole point unto herself, the particulars are just too many to list. Poor Judit. She still hasn't found the missing dough from our first practical.
4. Being told (at the dish sink), "wow, you must work. you're really good at doing work. I haven't worked in 3 years so I'm not good at moving fast or anything. I hate doing dishes, that's why we use paper plates for everything at home. It's just easier". I didn't know what to say. I didn't know if the statement or the fact that she was actually at the sink was more shocking.
3. The many top chef moments from making the best dessert in the room to not managing my clock properly and having to show a bad plating. Or the worst top chef moment, pulling a season 4 richard blaise on day 1 of the practical and choking on the one thing I know how to do perfectly—icing a cake (and being told by chef it wasn't my best work).
2. Learning how to make popcorn, bacon chocolate chip and coconut curry with cashew ice cream, yes ice cream. And they were good believe it or not!
1. Having the best plated dessert... ever (at least in my mind) and having Chef be speechless, he didn't know what to say and asked me to show the plate to the head chef of the department. I felt redeemed for the cake. Here is my final presentation....

This is what I call "a night at the movies"
Popcorn flavored ice cream with a side of cinnamon caramel corn. It comes with caramel sauce, roasted peanuts and sea salt to create an ice cream sundae according to your own tastes and wishes. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment