Monday, November 2, 2009

Falling Back

Not daylight savings time... falling back into my old life of branding, marketing and design. Hi, my name is Stephanie and I'm addicted to making things look amazing and being better than everyone else. Is there a meeting for this? Sign me up because I need help.

My final class is production baking, basically we run a bakery on campus from 7:30 to 11:00 am and sell everything from breakfast sandwiches, scones, muffins, cookies, cupcakes to puppy chow and pizza. Besides developing the menu options, part of the class is to decide on a name, create a logo and come up with a marketing plan. You see it coming don't you.

This class includes everyone in our current graduation cycle—EVERYONE—so needless to say there was a tier one meeting (have I not explained the tier system that naturally develops in all social environments?) to strategize. The last thing we needed was chatty kathy who kept telling us she would go into anaphylactic shock if she breathed in pepper smell while eating pepper laden food making any decisions. Not going to happen. Tier one went into full swing, we were determined to have an entire plan ready from menu to marketing by day one.

Here's where I fell hard back into my old life. I took on the naming, logo, packaging, marketing and overall look and feel of the bakery. I had almost two weeks, piece of cake (yeah, I said piece of cake). On day one I had a complete visual presentation including 5 name & logo options, 3 sample posters, 2 sample labels, frequent buyer card, signage program, advertising plan and a basic color palette. Shocked faces, they didn't know what to say. Welcome to the first lesson on how to professionally present and sell your ideas. Take notes people.

Needless to say Chef put me in charge of the PR committee and I became the creative director and marketing director in one. So here it is, the production bakery name for the class that is always "setting the standards" (according to many of the chef's).

No comments:

Post a Comment