Monday, November 2, 2009

Sweet Revenge

Normally I love any type of showpiece but I wasn't excited about this assignment: create a chocolate sculpture 18" high that represents the theme of animals. Yuk, I had a bad feeling about thist. I decided to make a coral reef, this way blobby clumps would look artistic without having to be too precise.

Step one, temper 4 pounds of chocolate and pour a base. That only took 2 hours. Step two, temper 6 pounds of dark chocolate and create three pieces of coral. To develop lumps and bumps I poured tempered chocolate into a pan of ice, allowed it to set up and as quickly as possible remove the ice as water is not the friend of chocolate. It took me 3 hours but it looked great. I was happy... do you see it coming?


Three coral pieces assembled on top of the base

The next day (Sunday, yup we have to do extra hours for this bad boy) I go to the rack with all our chocolate on it and I can't find my coral. Where is it? The slot where I put it was empty, all the other trays were there except mine. I couldn't believe it, 3 hours of work, down the drain. Breathe, breathe, don't get angry, breathe. That's what I get for putting my name on the tray. Really? 3 hours later I once again had some lumps of chocolate coral and a slightly bitter attitude.

The mystery was solved next week. Any guesses who did it? The Chef who taught the cake decorating class. She thought it was "dirty chocolate" (we always have a big tray of crap chocolate that gets used for practice) and said it wasn't labeled well. Yeah, not buying it. Who thinks my three perfectly round chunks of coral looked like a big tray of messy, gloppy, dirty chocolate. Me and dirty? I think not. I'll never get my 3 hours back, so I guess I'll just have to start making wedding cakes that are better than hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment